As a state funded school, we follow the regulations set out by Leicester City Council (LCC). This is reflected in our Admissions Policy. Please also see the Local Authority's website Admissions LCC. The School Admissions Code is available on the Department for Education's web site DfE website.
At Wolsey House Primary School we believe it is vital each pupil attends school every day, on time to gain the greatest benefit from their education.
Missing School = Missing Out
Regular attendance at school is the most important factor in children reaching their full potential. Any absence including lateness affects the pattern of a child's schooling and regular absence will seriously affect their learning. Each child is expected to be in school 100% which is 190 days in the year with no term time holidays. The government’s minimum acceptable attendance target for a child is 96.2%. Please note that a child who attends 90% means they have missed 4 weeks of their education in one year.
Parents are expected to:
- Ensure your child attends school everyday
- Contact school on the first day of absence
- Make all appointments e.g. doctor/dentist outside school time
- Not take children on visits/shopping trips during school time
- Never take leave of absence (term time holidays). All holidays will be unauthorised and penalty notices will be issued
- Bring your child to school on time (8:55am) everyday
The school will:
- Monitor attendance regularly
- Monitor pupils who arrive late
- Contact parents when a pupil fails to attend school without a good reason
- Contact parents when there is a pattern of absences or an excessive number of absences
- Refer the matter to the schools Education Welfare Officer if attendance is a concern
- Celebrate good attendance
- Reward good or improved attendance through year group competitions, certificates and stickers
- Reward individual good/excellent attendance termly with certificates
- Work with and support parents so that together we can work on raising attendance across the school
10 Tips for Parents to help ensure their child attends school regularly:
- Help your child to get their book bag ready the night before school
- Make sure their uniform is ready for the following day
- Make sure your child goes to bed at a reasonable time
- Set the alarm clock early enough to allow plenty of time to get ready
- Make sure your child has some breakfast – unless attending Breakfast Club
- Leave for school with plenty of time to spare so your child is not late
- Check to make sure they have everything they need - book bag, drinks bottle etc.
- If your child is having any problems with their work, speak to the class teacher
- Talk to your child about what they do at school each day
- If your child is unhappy at school contact the school straight away